Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Is Swinger a bad word?

I called this thing American Swinger. Should it be called American Poly instead? For one thing I don't think that has the same "ring" to it.

How about the American Journal of Responsible Non Monogamy?
American Open Relationship?

I still like American Swinger the best.

At this point in 2015 I wonder what most people think of the word swinger? It seems like a lot of younger people prefer to use the term poly or just open relationship. Is swinger a bad word? Does the word swinger bring to mind the stereotype of the guy with the gold chain around his neck and an open shirt with his trophy blond wife with fake tits on his arm? Are swingers simply the folks who like to go to the swinger clubs? What makes you a swinger? If you have any relationship outside of a conventional monogamous relationship does that make you a swinger?

To me all it means is being in an open relationship that is open and honest.

What is poly? In my mind, at least in the old days, to me poly was more about relationships than sex. To me a poly person is interested in forming lasting loving relationships with multiple people. Maybe I'm old school but to me a poly relationship is one that is a 3sum or moresum that live together as a family. It's serious stuff!

I do think it's entirely possible for humans to fall in love with more than one person. Why not? I also think about how much communication goes into my single relationship. I can't imagine adding another person into the mix. It must be a lot of work to keep a successful poly relationship going strong. Major props to those of you who can do it! Awesome!

The term open relationship seems so wide open to me. There are so many different types of open relationships. That is perhaps a whole other post. So yes, to me swinger is the right word. My wife and I like to have sex with other people! We like 3sums and 4sums and small groups. While we love to make new friends and prefer to make long lasting friendships that go on for years, we're not looking to fall in love and move in with you.

So call me a swinger!

btw...  I've never even owned a gold chain. I don't ever wear silk shirts wide open to show my manly chest hair. I don't wear cologne. My wife's breasts are completely natural. I usually wear black and listen to a lot of punk rock. Maybe we're not swingers?! We've never fit the stereotype. Which is one reason why I think the stereotype is a silly one. There are a lot of different types of people who I would call swingers. So let's chill about the labels and just have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment