Sunday, March 22, 2015

Work story

So I had an interesting thing happen to me the other day at work.

First of all, virtually all of my coworkers in my particular department are women. I spend a lot of days listening to some very interesting conversations sometimes!

I walked into our shared office space the other day and heard something like, "...so he's pretty sure his Dad is a swinger. He's freaking out a little and he's trying to decide what to do."

One of my coworkers said, "I would totally confront him and demand to know why he is cheating on my Mom!"

I said, "wow, it sounds like I walked into the middle of a doozy!"

One of my coworkers turned to me and said pretty much point blank, "yeah. One of my friends is pretty sure he figured out his Dad is a swinger. His father's iPhone was getting some really interesting messages the other day and they were popping up on his screen. His Dad was out of the room and he couldn't not look at the messages. What would you do if you found out about something like that?"

It seemed like everyone in the office turned to me and waited for my response.

I said, "first of all...  how old is your friend?"

She said, "26".

So I said, "Well. Here's what I think. I think my parents sex lives should be private. I personally don't want to know what they do behind closed doors. I also don't want to know what my Aunt Cindy is up to or my Brother or for that matter any of you guys. I think those things should be private. I think the bigger question is, are they happy in their marriage?"

At that point one of my coworkers jumped in and said, "just because they're swingers doesn't mean that they're unhappy. They could be perfectly happy." (how interesting that she would jump in and say that I thought)

So I said, "Exactly. They could be totally happy in their marriage. You have no idea. So what would I do? Nothing. It's their private business."

I would like to think I made a few of my coworkers think a bit. Was I being too obvious in my sympathies? I don't think so.


No comments:

Post a Comment